Sunday, July 1, 2012

Independence Day Blog Hop Guest Post: Morgan Ashbury

Welcome to the first day of the Independence Day Blog Hop!  Don't forget to visit the other participants for more fabulous prizes. Go here for a list: http://thebloghopspot.com/event-page/

I will be giving away an e-book a day from the fabulous Melody Snow Monroe.  At the end all the names will be gathered from the comments and I will do a drawing for a $10 giftcard from either BN or Amazon.  Please don't forget to leave your email when you comment. This is the only time I am saying it: *No email, no chance to win*


Who better to be my first guest, than author Morgan Ashbury aka Cara Covington.  She lives in Canada and today is the day they celebrate their Independence Day of sorts. Well, I will let her explain it to you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Canada was signed into existence as country on July 1, in 1867, by the British Parliament (The British North America Act) and the law was given the Royal Nod by Queen Victoria. When I was little, our nation’s birthday was called “Dominion Day”. That was, of course, because at that time we were the Dominion of Canada.


Yes, I’m Canadian, but old enough to recall that growing up we were Canadians and British subjects. We had our own flag, sort of. It was called the Canadian Ensign, and it had the British Union Jack in the corner.
For my parents, Canadian equalled British and that was that.
There were always parades on July 1st, and we often attended the one in the city closest to us, Hamilton. What made the day all the more significant for me was the fact that my big brother’s birthday was also on July 1st.
He had me convinced at an early age that the parades were for him. I remain naive to this very day.
We Canadians tend to be more reserved in our displays of patriotism than you, our neighbors to the south—though we are slowly but surely getting over that and catching up.
Now of course, by another act of parliament—the Canadian Parliament this time—our constitution has been repatriated (April 17, 1982), we have the Maple Leaf as our flag, and July 1st is Canada Day.
We celebrate this holiday of nationhood much as you celebrate your Independence Day—with community parades and picnics, music and dancing, and of course, fireworks.
We don’t tend to celebrate our military on this day—that we do more on Remembrance Day (November 11th). But otherwise our celebrations are similar.
Our similarities are greater than our differences.
We are two nations celebrating our nationhood as free and open democracies, where rule of law and not rule of might are the order of the day. We travel each others’ highways and byways, speak each others’ languages, covet each others’ sporting trophies, and pay money to watch each others’ entertainers perform.
We come to each other’s aid in times of trouble.
I’ve made so many wonderful American friends since I’ve become published. Every time I cross the border and venture to another conference or convention or book fair, I’m greeted by readers and authors and welcomed into your presence, and into your hearts.
I often celebrate with you the birthday of your great nation, and even did so once in Philadelphia, at Independence Hall.
Thank you all for making this Cannuck a friend. Happy Birthday, and may God bless the United States of America.

Love,
Morgan Ashbury/Cara Covington

20 comments:

  1. Well, howdy-do Canadian neighbor. :) Thanks for the great post on Canada and how it came to be. I have no memory of Canada ever having a flag other than the distinctive white and red one (I was six when the change happened). Amazing how much things can change just in a single life-time.

    torymichaels(@)live(.)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I love it when I learn more about our neighbors. Canada is a beautiful country, and I've been lucky to have visited Vancouver to Quebec. Viki

    viki.lyn.romance (@) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am PROUD to be called a Canadian. my whole family has come to Canada as immigrants looking for new lives and better opportunities, having said that i have visited the states many times and have enjoyed how freely i can go between the two countries. when i come back to Canada every time i visit the states i marvel at how different and yet the same our two countries are

    laurie

    parisfan_ca@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Independence Day to our Canadian neighbors. I love the celebration for the 4th that we have here in the states. My grandson told me that the fireworks this year were for Uncle Dane (my son) in heaven, to thank him for his service and to tell him we love him. So this years fireworks will be extra special.

    proudarmymom32(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you and all my fellow Canadian friends a very Happy Canada Day!! Also wishing your brother a happy birthday! Luv ya and happy writing to you Morgan! See ya soon and hopefully one day I will be able to visit your neck of the woods.

    rana.adams@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Canada day! I have read Love under two Gunslingers from my prize that I won from you and loved it now onto the next in the series:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Canada Day! Thanks for sharing the great post on Canada. I've never been there, but hopefully I will someday :)
    laceyblossom1(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing the origins of Canada Day and your celebration of it! Have a safe and happy Canada Day and 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your informative post on Canada Day. Happy Canada Day to you and all Canadians!

    strive4bst at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Canada Day to our neighbors to the north and a happy birthday to your brother! Thanks for sharing a bit of history about your country!

    kliu107 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Canada Day. Thanks for the chance to win!
    natasha_donohoo_8 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Canada Day! Thanks for being part of the blog hop and for the giveaway!
    flava_sava_chick@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Canada Day! Nice info about Canada :)

    penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Canada day! Thanks for the info i did not know this and it was interesting! Thanks for a great job writting i really enjoy your books! have a wonderful week!
    jah4334@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy (late) Canada Day...sorry I'm a day late! :( Great info about Canada! I have several friends who live in Canada and I love learning about the country. It's a beautiful country with a beautiful history!

    morris.crissy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Judy lechleitnerJuly 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

    My daughter introduced me to this blog! She does reviews for authors. She has introduced me to your books and some other authors. I love readng as much as she does. My e-mail: jljudywatt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's so grat to have a Mom who supports me and what I do. Even if the books I read might not always be up her alley *g*

      Delete
  17. wow you guy do celebrate the holidays with the queen thing now the celebrationi bet it fun

    desi the blonde at msn dot ocm

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much! I love watching the fireworks with the kids! They get so excited!!!

    forettarose@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Comments are closed to win today's ebook. All names will be put in for the grand prize. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete