Thursday, November 29, 2012

Jane's Gift Blog Tour: Interview with Karen Erickson



Before we get started, Karen is giving one lucky commenter a $20 Starbucks gift card (US ONLY). To enter, give me your answer to one of the speed round questions and don't forget to leave your email.

Thanks for stopping by Karen! 

Thanks for having me on your blog today Ursula!

What are some inspirations when it comes to story ideas?

Oh, it can be anything. The news, a movie, reading a magazine, a real life story (I recently saw something on Facebook where a friend of mine commented on this guy’s status. And the little story that guy spun made my mind spin because it had such romance potential! J). Ideas are everywhere, thank goodness!

Have you ever heard a song and just had an entire story pop into your head?

Oh, yes! There are certain bands where I can hear just about any song and an idea pops in my head. Lifehouse is the creator of many a damaged hero. LOL And I did write the short story JESSE’S GIRL completely based on Rick Springfield’s song. Heck, I even named the hero Rick!

Do you have special scheduled writing times?

Lately it’s all the time! I write when the kids are in school and I tend to write after they go to bed. I try to take the weekends off but the last few months I’ve had a schedule packed with deadlines so I’ve been working extra hard.

Are there times when you think a story should go one way and your "characters" change your mind for you?

Um, all the time. I’m not a plotter. I write out a road map (when I sell on proposal with a synopsis, I have to), but I can’t plot out every scene, every step, etc. Takes the fun out of it for me. I like those surprises my characters reveal to me as I’m writing. Yes, I know I’m the one who created them and I’m the one who’s controlling them but they really do feel like they take over and do what they want.

If Jane's Gift were a movie, who would be your dream to play the hero and heroine?

Someone else just asked this question—it’s a good one because I really had to think! I chose a dark haired Rachel McAdams and decided to reunite her with Ryan Gosling in my movie version of JANE’S GIFT. What do you think?

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a teacher, a stewardess (because that’s what they were called when I was little—now it’s flight attendant, LOL) and a reporter. That’s what I put in my school years book my grandma kept and finally gave to me a few years ago. When I was a teen, I wrote horrible stories in notebooks I still have. I always enjoyed reading and writing. I feel really lucky that I get to write every day—I have the best job in the world.

Which author is an automatic buy?

Jill Shalvis and Tessa Dare are my top two but really? The list goes on and on. I buy way too many books. And I love each and every one of them. J

What do you eat/drink while writing?

A Diet Coke is sitting on my desk at this very moment. It’s an addiction.

What are you reading right now?

I literally just downloaded FIVE GOLDEN RINGS (available December 11th) on my Kindle earlier today. It’s the historical anthology my novella His Perfect Gift is in and I was dying to read the four other novellas in the collection. I plan on reading them this weekend and I can’t wait!

What is your guilty pleasure?

During the winter it’s soaking in my tub (with the water really hot) and reading.

What TV show are you LOVING right now?

I've been so swamped I haven’t watched much TV lately. Though I do enjoy those bearded boys on Duck Dynasty. They make me laugh.

Ok, speed round *g*...

Jeremy Renner or Jason Statham?

Jason! He’s sexier to me.

High Heels or Flats?

Flats—I’m all about comfort

Beach or Woods?

Oh, I love them both! Such a hard choice. You can get the beach and the woods on the extreme Northern California coast into Oregon… J

Iron Man or Thor?

THOR. Ahem. Chris Hemsworth is a current crush. He’s delicious.

Gone With the Wind or Titanic?

Gone With the Wind. I’m a total Rhett Butler fan.

Thanks for being so forthcoming with your answer! Oh and, I didn't tell you but the speed round was a test. :) You passed.
**********
On to business. Don't forget to enter the contest below!

Blurb for Jane’s Gift:


A fire captain afraid of commitment. A widow afraid of fire. Can the holidays bring them together?

A devastating house fire cost Jane Clark nearly everything: her husband, her confidence, and her looks, with the physical scars marbling her body. Now, two years later, she's living and healing back in her childhood hometown of Lone Pine Lake. The upcoming holidays are the perfect opportunity to bring some Christmas cheer into her young children's lives, starting with a visit to the firehouse, where her brother's best friend has offered to help quell their residual fears.

Lone Pine's resident playboy, fire captain Christian Nelson is happy with his single-guy lifestyle. He's an everyday local hero, so he's never wanting for attention around the holidays. But when Jane Clark shows up, Chris is immediately drawn to the beautiful widow--even though kids and commitment have never been his style.

Despite her brother's warnings about his friend's playboy status and dangerous occupation, Jane can't help but fall for the gorgeous fire captain. The holidays are a time of new beginnings, but can two scarred people find the strength to let go of their pasts to live in the present, when a lifetime together might be the sweetest gift of all?

You can find JANE’S GIFT at Amazon | B&N | Kobo

Where you can find Karen: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Pinterest




a Rafflecopter giveaway

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic interview. I have to say that Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling are just awesome for Romance movies. :) I love the answer to the Beach/woods question. Chris Hemsworth is totally yummy, but I would have to go with Iron Man, I love Robert Downey Jr. And seriously have you seen the trailer for Iron Man 3?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the interview, thank you. I loved the song Jesse's girl, at one time it was stuck in my head for days. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I like the beach and not the woods. Camping is not my thing. I'll take a beach anytime. Titanic. I love the song on that one and it is so emotional at the end. I cry on it every time when Jack sinks into the ocean. Dancing with the stars had that song on there and the singer sank down into the fog on it. I loved that they did that.

    amysmith98@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome interview ladies! I think I'd go for Iron Man, I have a thing for Robert Downey Jr. :D

    evitap67(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun interview! I'm with Karen on flats. They're so comfy. And Tessa Dare and Jill Shalvis being auto buys :)

    romancingrakes(at)gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the story of Jane's Gift and plan to buy it on the 1st. I am also a comfy shoe person...I put on those strappy, sexy heels and then take them right off...one of those been there done that things. Wonderful interview~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, I forgot to add the most important thing I am one of Karen's SCANDALOUS LADIES~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice interview. I'd pick Jason Statham.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful interview! My guilty pleasure for writing is Dt. Pepsi, but spot on with the super hot bath and a good book. I tried that yesterday when the family was home though and was barged in on no less than 8 times. *sighs* Eventually they grow up and go away, right? LOL

    My speed round question: Woods. I live in Washington and am an amateur photographer and an archery hunter. The beach is good but I love the diversity of the mountains.

    ~ Cia
    anordwell@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so looking forward to reading Jane's Gift. It sounds so good.

    JYL22075 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete