Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Birthday Bash day 19: Guest Post: Jess Dee



Welcome to day 19. (psst. Tomorrow is my birthday *g*) Today I have Jess Dee with a lovely post and a tease about her new book. I am eager to read it and I am sure you will be too when you find out a little about it. So read on! Don't forget to comment and leave your email to win an e-book!
~~~~~~

Friends to lovers: My favorite book theme

First off, let me start by saying: HAPPY BIRTHDAY URSULA. Thank you for letting me come along and celebrate your special day. In honor of your birthday, I’m giving away an ebook. (Read the post to find out more.)
————

When Harry Met Sally is possibly my favorite movie ever. I love everything about it, and suspect I may have seen it well over twenty times. Although I quote the movie endlesslybecause there are some classic lines, my best quote of all is when Harry Burns says to Sally Albright:

“Men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.”

I laughed myself silly when I first heard this line. Thought it was hilarious, and patently untrue. But let me tell you, I have thought about this quote endlessly since I’ve become a romance author.

If you’ve read any of my blogs about my first book, Photo Opportunity, you’ll know the book was largely based on two things:
1)    reality…with a what if added, &
2)    this quote.
See Photo Opportunity was very loosely based on myself and a very dear male friend at the time. We were both single and were continually bombarded with the question (from family and friends alike): When are you two going to get together? 

Our answer was standard and it didn’t vary: Never! Yep, we were close, yep, we adored each other, but nope, it was never going to be more than friendship.

Harry Burns quote always played on my mind though, and when I began writing seriously, (long after my friend and I were married—to other people) I started wondering…what if?
What if one of us had felt something more for the other? What if the sex part had interfered? And thus Photo Opportunity was born. It’s a classic friends to lovers story.

While I’ve often openly discussed that story behind Photo Opportunity, there’s another story I’ve always kept to myself, up until…well…right now.

See, when it came to my male friends, I never had a problem with ‘the sex part getting in the way.’ Except for one guy.
He and I were close. Really close. And every day we grew closer. At some point, something changed between us. I’m not sure when or where, but I became conscious well…okay, I’ll just say it…of the sex part. Suddenly it was getting in the way of our being friends. Not that we were doing the sex part. Just that, well, I thought a lot about it.

Eventually I couldn’t bear it anymore. I had to say something. A couple of weeks before he left to live in another city, I sat him down and told him how I felt. After he’d gotten over his stunned surprise (and yes, I can still see the way he stared at me, shock all over his face) he smiled. Of course he felt the same way, he told me. And he had for a while. But because he was leaving to go live in that other city, he’d never acted on it.

We discussed the dilemma for a long time, and though it broke my heart, we wisely decided a long-distance relationship would never work.

Whenever I think about him now, I still feel that slight pang of regret. Harry Burns might not have got it right about my other friend, but with this one he sure had.

Almost 25 years after the fact, as I was pondering over what book to write next, that same friend came to mind. As did the question…what if? What if, when I’d told him how I felt, things had played out differently?

Eight days later More Than Friends was written. I’ve never written a book that quickly, but obviously it was a story I’d thought about for a long time. And I’m happy to report, that even though things don’t always work out in real life, you can always rest assured you’ll find your happy ending in a romance book.
I know I found mine.
J

More Than Friends is the first book in a brand new series called More Than.
It releases on the 28th of May, through Samhain publishing and is already available for pre-order now at Amazon and Barnes & Noble.


More Than Friends: The Blurb

He was her best friend…until he became her fantasy.

A More Than Story

Lucy Lawson’s got it bad. Bad as in stunned speechless by the situation she’s in, by the feelings sitting on her chest, ready to explode. She’s in love…with her best friend.

Problem is, telling Sebastian Blackford could destroy the best thing in her life, but the longer she keeps her feelings under wraps, the stronger the need to spill her secret.

The last thing Seb suspects is that his best mate is madly, wildly in love with him, or that he’s the star of her seriously dirty fantasies. Worse, he’s just started seeing someone he’d like to see again—and Lucy knows it.

So why does her confession hit him like a runaway train? And why can’t he get her explicit description of her fantasies out of his mind? They’ve never been more than friends, but now that he knows how Lucy feels, everything is out of whack.

Seb figures it’s up to him to get their relationship back on track. He’ll do it too, just as soon as he establishes which track is the right one.

Warning: After reading this, you may just be tempted to jump your best friend. It’s recommended you keep your partner on speed dial or a toy with fresh batteries on standby.


To help me celebrate Ursula’s birthday, you can win an ebook, from my backlist.
However…I’m only gonna offer up one of the books that has a Friends To Lovers themes.
So the choice would be one of the following:
Photo Opportunity, Only Tyler, Raising The Stakes or Winter Fire.
You can find out more about each of them at my author page at Samhain Publishing, or by visiting my website.

Jess

11 comments:

  1. I have fresh batteries. So I am good to go. Happy Birthday soon!!
    debby236 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back before I was married I had a friend like that. I was in love with him. I told him and then we had just a sex relationship, but were still best friends. I ended up figuring out that I loved him, but was not in love with him. We were just great friends that loved to have sex with each other.
    Thanks for the giveaway. Love friends to lovers stories. Have read some good ones. Thanks for the giveaway.
    christinebails at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks real good, went coon the TBR list. Thanks for the giveaway!
    jess.ann@comcast.net
    Happy Almost Birthday Ursula!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooooooo, sounds good! and.. no comment on the best friend.. as least from the past. I'm married to my best friend now.. lol
    lisakc68@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. In many ways, I agree with Harry. If the woman is even remotely attractive, I think the fella will be thinking about the sex thing...And this comes from a woman who has had a good number of male friends! LOL.
    catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I own all those books already by Dee don't enter me, I just wanted to pop in and say hello to Jess and Happy Birthday Eve Ursula.
    Z

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jess! I have always loved friends-to-lovers stories. It is definitely one of my favorite themes in romance books :)

    Happy Birthday, Ursula! I hope you have a terrific day!
    June
    manning_J2004 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Comments are closed. The winner is Lisa. Thanks guys.

    ReplyDelete