Thursday, March 14, 2013

Blog Tour: Down and Dirty: Interview with Christine Bell





Title: Down and Dirty
Series: Dare Me #2
Author: Christine Bell

Blurb: He was a dare she’d never been able to resist…

Cat Thomas has never been the kind of girl to stick. A self-professed infatuation junky, she latches on the newest, hottest guy on the block, then finds a reason—real or imagined—to dump him. When she accepts a dare to rekindle her high school flame and jump in bed with her brother’s best friend, Shane Decker, she knows she’s in trouble. She can’t resist the man, even after all these years apart, and that just won’t do.

Shane has come back to town for a couple reasons. The biggest one? He’s tired of living away from those he loves, including Cat. But now she’s spooked and will do anything to drive a wedge between them, including trying to fix him up with other women through an online dating service.

What does he have to do to make her see that settling down doesn’t mean settling, and he’s ready to spend a lifetime proving it?

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Down-Dirty-Dare-Me-ebook/dp/B00BKEKQTA
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/down-and-dirty-christine-bell/1114695825
Entangled: http://www.entangledpublishing.com/down-and-dirty/
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17411381-down-and-dirty

Bio: Christine Bell is a romance author and also writes erotic romance as Chloe Cole. She and her handsome hubby currently reside in Pennsylvania with a four-pack of teenage boys. If she gets time off from her duties as maid, chef, chauffeur, or therapist, she can be found reading just about anything she can get her hands on, from Young Adult novels to books on poker theory. She doesn’t like root beer, clowns or bugs (except ladybugs, on account of their cute outfits), but lurrves chocolate, going to the movies, the New York Giants and playing Texas Hold ‘Em. Writing is her passion, but if she had to pick another occupation, she would be a pirate…or, like, a ninja maybe. Christine loves to hear from readers, so please contact her through her website, www.christine-bell.com

Website: www.christine-bell.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/_ChristineBell @_ChristineBell
Facebook: http://facebook.com/http://www.facebook.com/pages/Christine-BellChloe-Cole-Author/150917174953849
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4466856.Christine_Bell
~~~~~

Welcome to the Down and Dirty Blog tour. You read the review for it yesterday, now I have a super fun interview with the author of Down and Dirty, Christine Bell. Don't forget to enter the Rafflecopter contest below! Without further ado, please welcome Christine Bell!
Interview:

Book specific questions:

Tell me something about your book I won’t find in the back cover blurb.

It’s funny! The blurb is more focused on the conflict and the relationship between characters, as a good blurb oughta be, but the book itself is quite funny, if I do say so myself. I read for entertainment, so my goal as an author is to entertain and nothing makes me happier than witty banter and light, fun prose in a contemporary romance. My favorite thing is when a I get reader email that says something like “I was at the dentist’s office laughing out loud and people were staring”. That makes my day!

Did you have a specific inspiration in mind for Cat and Shane while writing? 
Were they based on real life people?

All of my characters tend to have a PIECE that comes from my life (either friends, family or someone I saw in the grocery store). Cat does this thing where she looks for flaws in the men she dates because she’s terrified of commitment and that is definitely based on a relative of mine who shant be named, lol! Shane is just another one of my dream guys. Lucky for me, all of my heroes have a little bit of my husband in them and at least one line from every book is something that was said to me by my husband at one time or another. Funny enough, those are often some of the lines that the readers swoon over and will highlight on their kindles. So…LUCKY ME, RIGHT!?!?!

If it were made into a movie, who do you see playing some of your favorite characters from the book?

Oooh, so let’s see. Cat would have to be Emma Stone and Shane would have to be Chris Evans.

General questions:      

Have you ever heard a song (or seen a movie) and just had an entire story pop into your head?

Nope. That would be LOVELY, though! Now I realllly want that to happen, lol! I have had a scene pop into my head fully formed (which is usually what makes me write a particular book), but even when that happens, it’s not often a song or movie that’s the catalyst. A lot of times, a character will pop into my head and their internal conflict and quirks/flaws will make the scene come to life. For example, with Cat, she was a character in the first book of the Dare Me series called Down for the Count. In that book, she was described at a commitment-phobe, so in this book I was just thinking about her and thinking “What would be the MOST uncomfortable situation to put her in?” Clearly, having a guy whose primary goal is to shake up her life and get her to settle down and commit would cause her the most discomfort. Because that’s what romance (and most fiction) is all about. Authors torturing their beloved characters sufficiently before giving them their happy ending. My job sounds FUN doesn’t it? (It is).

Do you have specific scheduled writing times?

Well, ideally, yes. I try to exercise first thing in the morning (if I don’t exercise I feel like crap because my job basically consists of sitting by myself on a chair all day,) then I have breakfast and coffee. Doing all three before I sit down to write makes me feel awake and energized. I try to write from around 9:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. That said, if the words aren’t flowing well, or if I’m on a tight deadline (which is pretty much all the time lately) I need to write longer. So yesterday, for example, I wrote from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and then again from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. Not the schedule I’m shooting for, but even on the longest days, it’s a dream come true and there is nothing else I’d rather be doing.

Are you a pantser or a plotter?

I’m a reformed pantser. After writing myself into a corner one too many times, I started outlining. Now I can’t even function without my outline and the words come so much quicker when I actually KNOW where the story is going.

Are there times when you think a story should go one way and your "characters" change your mind for you?
 ALL the time.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

A princess.

Which author is an automatic buy?

LOTS! Gillian Flynn. JR Ward. JK Rowling. Cari Quinn. Rile Murphy. Christina Dodd. Tessa Dare.

What do you eat/drink while writing?

Coffee, water, COPIOUS amounts of bananas and granola bars. That’s about it. If I’m in the zone I really just need fuel, so I want something I can plunk down next to me and grab without breaking. I do usually stop for lunch if I’m at home, though. Oftentimes I write at the café down the street. I can’t look at the same four walls all week, plus when I’m home it’s hard to ignore the closets that need cleaning, the dogs that want attention, the kids in and out all day (we have four boys ages 15-22 and a bonus girl who lives with us as well, so it’s a zoo here a lot of times).

What are you reading right now?

Nothing. I have a book due in four days. When it’s gets to the wire like this, reading (and frankly, sleeping or anything else) is not really an option, lol! BUT, the next book I will be reading is J.R. Ward’s next Black Dagger Brotherhood book coming in like a week. Can. Not. WAIT.

What is your guilty pleasure?

J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series, lol! And sea salt chocolate covered caramels.

What TV show are you LOVING right now?

LOTS! Game of Thrones, Luther, Sherlock, The Following, Doctor Who, Firefly(yeah, yeah, it’s cancelled, but I still watch the repeats!) So You Think You Can Dance, and The Voice. OH! I also LOVE cooking shows. Chopped, Sweet Genius, Cupcake Wars etc. Luckily, I have DVR so I try to watch stuff late night when I can’t sleep or on weekends with the family. We’ll do a marathon with popcorn and catch up on our faves. 

Ok, speed round *g*...


Jeremy Renner or Jason Statham?
Woooowwww. That is a TOUGH one. Jason Statham.

High Heels or Flats?
Heels.

Wine, Beer, or Umbrella drink?
Yes, please. But if I have to choose, good beer.

Cupcakes or Cookies?
Cupcakes.

Chocolate or Gummi Bears?
Has anyone EVER said Gummi Bears???

Beach or Woods?
BEACH

Iron Man or Thor?
THOR.

Gone With the Wind or Titanic?
BATMAN The Dark Knight Rises
~~~~~
Ok here's the contest:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

1 comment:

  1. Great interview! I like knowing that the book is funny! I put it on my TBR!
    Thanks!
    jess.ann@comcast. net

    ReplyDelete