Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Review: Mystery Man


While drinking cosmopolitans in a fabulous little black dress, Gwendolyn Kidd meets the man of her dreams. Then she takes him home. Then she wakes up alone. But her fear that she lost her dream man turns into a relationship with a mystery man when, night after night in the dead of night, he comes back for more. Hoping it will blossom into something real, she lets him.
But she doesn't even know his name.
Gwen's struggling with the decision to end their crazy non-relationship when her sister-from-hell, Ginger's best friend pays a visit and warns Gwen that if she and her sister don't get smart, they'll both get d-e-a-d, dead. Gwen has no clue what's going on but she's used to Ginger's antics and decides to lay the problem on her sister's biker boyfriend's doorstep. Bad choice. She catches the eye of the biker hottie president of the Chaos Motorcycle Club, not long after she gets the attention of a Denver police detective who surely is on the cover of the DPD's Hot Guy calendar and lastly she hits the Denver Underground radar with a big, loud ping.
This means Gwen's Mystery Man, Cabe "Hawk" Delgado has to step in to keep her safe. But when Hawk gets a dose of Gwen in the daylight, he makes the decision that he finally wants real with Gwen. However when Gwen gets a dose of badass, bossy, straight-talker Hawk in the daylight, she decides she's done.
Thus begins the head-to-head of the Commando vs. Cosmo Girl as Hawk woos Gwen in his own unique way, Gwen survives firebombs, drive-bys, kidnappings, hot pursuits by biker hotties and gorgeous police detectives and discovers the heartbreaking reason why Hawk kept her at arm's length.
And as all this happens, Gwen finds that her sister's troubles are serious trouble and she must decide who to keep alive: her sister-from-hell or the man of her dreams.
5 FREAKING STARS!!!


Where do you start when you are reviewing the very first Kristen Ashley book you ever read?  I guess at the beginning. I was bored. Bored with the books I was buying, bored with reviewing, just over reading altogether. I contacted one of my two favorite book recommender friends and told her I wanted to read a book about a bad ass alpha and a kick ass heroine. She told me to check out Mystery Man by Ms. Ashley. I was thrilled with how long the book was because sometimes, it seems, you aren’t getting much book for your buck.

So I dove in. I began reading and was instantly enthralled. I couldn’t be bothered to stop. Meals went uncooked, the house went uncleaned. Thank goodness my kids are old enough to take care of themselves. *G* I got about halfway through and sent off a quick message to my friend. “It’s like she looked inside my mind and saw the exact book I wanted to read and wrote it!”

If you have never picked up a book by Ms. Ashley, make it this book.( She has a whole reading order list, you could follow that too. But just pick one up.) I am in love with the world of Hawk and Gwen. She is just too adorable for words. Hawk is the type of man I dream all books have as a hero. This book had action, adventure, hot sex and the kind of emotion that made my chest hurt while reading it.

Ms. Ashley has a way of writing the characters like real people. I was totally with Gwen when she was freaking out when she was broken into. I was right there drinking with the girls in the loft. We are treated to lavish descriptions to setting, appearances and emotions. Some people have said too much describing, but I think that is what makes a Kristin Ashley book. The in depth looks into friendships, families and relationships. It makes for such a complex and rich read. And it’s just plain engrossing. I LIVED in that world for the length of the book.

We also get to meet three other men and they are the ones who star in the other books in the Dream Man series. Each one of them is just as bad ass and manly as Hawk and of course I have since gone on to read them all! In fact after I finished this book I went on a Kristin Ashley reading (and it must be said, BUYING) spree. For a month and a half I lived, breathed and read the fabulous characters in the Rock Chick Series, Colorado Series, The ‘Burg series, Unfinished Hero series, and of course the rest of the Dream Man series. Of course that created a whole new set of problems that I don’t need to get into. *G*

Just go read the book, for crying out loud!

No comments:

Post a Comment