Friday, July 26, 2013

Review: Along Came a Spider

Along came a spider. . .

When Trish Muffet is attacked at a grisly crime scene, the last person she expects to come to her rescue is Nicky "Little Boy" Blue. But since walking away from everything two years before, Nicky's been doling out vigilante justice as "The Spider," taking on the vicious predators of the night in hopes it'll lead him to his ultimate target--Vlad Dracula. And he needs Trish's help.

Although Nicky's renegade style goes against everything Trish stands for, she'll do what she must to bring Dracula down. With danger stalking her, Trish knows the only person she can count on is the one man who has the power to leave her breathless. There's no way she's letting this spider frighten her away. . .




I can’t stress how much I loved this story!! I have been off paranormal because I was getting tired of all the vamp and shifter books. Only a couple I have read in the past 6 months have kept me entertained. The concept of this book? Fresh and fun! I mean who doesn’t love the fairy tales and nursery rhymes we heard growing up? Throw in some characters from the classics like Jane Eyre and Dracula and you have the most interesting cast of characters I have read in a LONG TIME. The spin is these aren’t the characters you grew up reading about. Now that they are in our world, they can live up to their true personalities (not just what the stories told us) both good and bad.

There was so much to love about this story! There was action, adventure, bad assery, laugh out loud fun and it even scared the shit out of me a couple times. Picture me on the treadmill at the gym, reading my Kindle and suddenly rearing back as if a ghost had jumped out at me, on the bike throwing my hands up & gasping in fright or suddenly bursting out laughing out loud. Yup. I am pretty sure the employees and fellow gym goers think I am meant for the looney bin. This book was just that great to read.

And I just have to say that reading Ms. SeRine’s (pronounced serene) modern take on some of our most beloved characters is HILARIOUS. Prince Charming is a crook who almost killed Cinderella’s fairy godmother, Rumpelstiltskin is just a misunderstood man who wants to raise a baby with his gay partner and Snow White is a madam in a whore house named Happy Endings. BWAHAHAHA. I laughed my ass off! Bottom line: I was entertained and it kept my interest riveted to the story. I stayed at the gym working out way longer than I had to so I could finish the book. (My body is not thanking me right now.)

As I read the story there were frequent mentions of things that had happened in the past. Not in an annoying way. Just enough to keep the story flowing. But it was enough to make me start thinking, is this not the first book in a series!? I would LOVE to read the story of how Lavender and Seth got together, or how Tess and Nate hooked up. So I did a little searching. Sure enough, there are two books before this one that tells their stories! I am hooked and you can bet I will be checking out Tess’ (Red Riding Hood) story which is aptly named Red and Lavender’s ( Cinderella’s fairy godmother) story The Better to See You.

This book releases in August 1st and is available for pre-order now.

No comments:

Post a Comment