Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Review: Secret Maneuvers

"This is another one of those stories that I find it hard to convey the emotions I had without discussing the reasons for those emotions - hurt, sad, angry, hopeful, anxious, scared, nauseous, relieved - any book that can put me through the ringer as thoroughly as Secret Maneuvers did is one I will recommend to EVERYONE. Even if you don't think you like Contemporary Romance, you will like this." Laura, Little Read Riding Hood

Some mistakes from the past haunt us forever... unless fate steps in with a second chance. 

One 'dear John' letter haunts Bobby Baker's every living moment. It’s the letter he stupidly wrote to his high school sweetheart, Belle, right after he left to join the Army. The letter that he told her that he wasn't so sure if they were ready for forever yet. But before he can let her know that the letter, and his second thoughts, are nothing but a mistake, she up and disappears from the small Georgia town they were both raised in.

Fifteen years later, Belle unknowingly walks back into Bobby's life when her job as an ATF Agent forces her to work with a group of men secretly headed by the CIA to help her track down whoever is involved in funneling black market weapons to a drug cartel in Mexico. 


Bobby will use this mission to try and soothe Belle's hurt feelings while proving to her that their love is still meant for forever. He'll use every dirty trick he's learned since he joined the Army to maneuver her back into his life for the long haul. But Belle's not making it easy as she keeps him at arm's length in the hopes that mistakes of her own never come to light.


Review:
4 STARS

When I first saw the cover for this book, I thought, "HELLO HOTTIE!" That alone made me want to read the book, never mind the fact that it is written by the wonderful duo of Jessie Lane. I count myself lucky to be on the list of reviewers for her books! I gave a little squee when I got the email for this one. Also, I love books about bad ass alpha special ops guys. Add in danger, intrigue and misunderstandings and this book hits all my favorites. I was chomping at the bit to read it and as soon as I got caught up on my obligations, I dove right in.

From the beginning this book ripped my heart out. I thought dang! I was not expecting that from a contemporary romantic suspense novel. This book has so much going for it. I wanted to kill Bobby and Belle for different reasons and at different times in the book. GRR! And all through that there was this operation going on and bad guys doing bad stuff and all this past history keeps coming up. Phew. It was definitely a do not put down book. Also there was the big secret and some stuff in Belle's past that made for some tense moments!

Ms. Lane has a knack for writing a story that will keep you engrossed and interested until the very end. Best of all, there was no cliffhanger. I love that about it since so many of the books I have read lately leave me hanging! *G* I always love a good suspense book but when you add in all the angst and drama from teenage Bobby and Belle that just upped my love for the book. There was a fantastic cast of characters who I am eager to learn more about. The fact that this is first in a series just makes me do the happy dance. I am exciting to see where the series will be going from here.

Here are the links to buy this great book:




No comments:

Post a Comment