Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: Sins & Needles

Ellie Watt is used to starting over. The daughter of a grifting team, Ellie spent her childhood being used as a pawn in her parents' latest scam. Now she's much older, wiser and ready to give her con artist life a rest. But returning to the dry desert town of Palm Valley, California means one more temptation than she bargained for - Camden McQueen. Once known as the high school weirdo, Camden is bigger and badder than the boy he used to be and a talented tattoo artist with his own thriving business. Ellie's counting on Camden still being in love with her but what she's not counting on is how easily unrequited love can turn into obsession over time. When Camden discovers Ellie's plan to con him, he makes her a deal she doesn't dare refuse, but her freedom comes with a price and it's one that takes both Ellie and Camden down a dangerous road. 



Review:
5 STARS

HOLY. COW. I had to create a new label for this review post: OMFG. 

My fellow reviewer, AMY, read this book a while ago and told me I needed to read it! Well, when Amy tells me I have to read a book, I listen. She has yet to steer me wrong! (well, except for Beautiful Disaster, but that's a post for another day)


I was fucking enthralled by this book! I started reading it and couldn't put it down. Stayed up way too late just so I could read it all in one sitting. I am not sure if my review will be doing this book any justice but I am certainly going to give it a try. This book took me, turned me upside down, shook me, flipped me in a few circles, just when I thought I would puke put me right side up again, then kicked me in the gut for good measure.


WTF!? Yeah, I'll say it again...WHAT. THE. FUCK? I spent the entire book torn between hating and loving Camden. (His past with his Dad was messed up and I was wanted to just hold him and make it all better.) At times he seemed like just the bad ass alpha I want. Sometimes he was a little bit of a pussy. (Mostly when reading teen Camden) Other times he was a little psycho. A lot of times he was a little psycho and he was creeping me the fuck out. Then Javier entered the picture and suddenly Camden seemed like a little declawed pussy cat.  Javier is all sorts of psycho. He freaked the shit out of me. 

I love the whole past/present way Ms. Halle revealed the story and back story between Camden and Ellie. Just when I would get caught up in teenage Ellie/Camden I was thrust back to the present and I was like, NOOO! Then I was all caught up in present Ellie and then BAM! Right back into teenage Ellie we went. Kept me on my toes for the whole book. Also, the way Ms. Halle let us see Camden. He starts out as the perfect hot guy from high school looking to re-connect. But all along she gives us these glimpses so that when he suddenly snapped, I was sorta expecting it. But not that magnitude. I damn sure wasn't expecting the way he blackmailed Ellie and why he needed her help. MIND. BLOWN. (picture the typical nuclear explosion picture of a mushroom cloud here)

I really, really, REALLY can't stress how much I think Y'all should run out and buy/read this book. It is a roller coaster of a mind fuck that will make you want to puke when you are done riding...err reading...it. 

I would love to hear the thoughts form people who have already read this book in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The jury is still out. I am going to need to read Shooting Scars before I make my final judgement, but Camden gets huge points for the leg tattooing!

      Delete
  2. Okay! I got this book for my Kindle a while back! Now I'm excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then of course, after that, you have to read On Every Street which goes back and tells the story of Ellie and Javier. Holy smoking hot psycho!

      Delete