Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: White Trash Beautiful

A word-of-mouth bestseller that’s captivating readers with its honesty, grit, and headstrong heroine, White Trash Beautiful is a story for anyone who has ever felt trapped in life, cheated by love—and longed for something more . . . 


Cass Daniels isn’t waiting for her knight in shining armor. She knows that girls like her don’t get a happily ever after. Not if you live in a trailer with your mom, work at a greasy spoon diner, and get leered at by old men. Maybe that’s why she puts up with Jackson—her poor excuse for a boyfriend, who treats her like dirt. Cass has learned to accept her lot in life. That is, until he walks into her diner. . . . 


His name is Tucker White, and he’s different from any man Cass has ever known. Tall, tattooed, and bad-ass gorgeous, he’s the lead singer of the rock band Damaged. From the moment they meet, Tucker sees something in Cass he just can’t shake. Something beautiful. Something haunted. Something special. And he’s determined to find out what it is—if only he can get her to open up and let him in. . . .  

Review:
4 STARS

Having read and enjoyed Suicide Note by Ms. Mummert, I was eager to give this book a try. This books is nothing like Suicide Note proving what a talented author Ms. Mummert is. The voices are totally different. The feel I got from the book was 180 degrees from the feel I got from Suicide Note. I loved it!

I fell in love with Cass from Page one! She has no illusions about her life or where it's going and she has no time for anyone who tries to tell her different. I don't usually quote books, but here is a quote from the book that shows why I loved it so much!

"I'm not naive. I know I don't get the happily ever after. My knight in shining armor took the highway detour around this godforsaken shit hole..."

Time after time, Cass is beaten down and shown that she is as unworthy as she feels. Then Tucker quietly enters the diner and proves her different. I was riveted by Cass and her reaction to Tucker and how he tried courting her. She would forget herself for brief periods of time and allow herself to hope then something would smack her down and she would remember why she didn't have the luxury of hope. I wanted to cry (and did) so many times with this book. The worst part was when Jax....to her...and then she... Oh man I bawled. Once again, just when things were getting good for Cass, Fate proves what a fickle bitch she is.

I was so involved in the characters and the story, when Cass would forget herself and be happy for a brief moment, I wanted to take her aside and tell her to be careful because it could never last and she would only get her heart broken. That is how intense and real the writing was. I was in that filthy trailer park, right there with Cass. Wanting her to be happy but scared to take the leap. The personal growth of Cass was a wonderful thing to watch. One of my favorite parts is when she is finally on her own for the first time. 

The characters all came alive for me, even the supporting ones. Ms. Mummert has a way of bringing you into her world and no character or detail was small. They were all an important part of the story and you knew it. A HUGE plus is that there was no cliffhanger ending. If there wasn't a book after this I could be happy with how it ended. Of course knowing there is another book, I am I am dying to read it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment