Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Review: Deeper

Rain Wilson isn’t ever going to love again. 

It’s a promise she made the day her boyfriend died in a water park accident, one she still blames herself for. Now she’s a senior lifeguard in a new town with a new pool and she’s just going to keep her head down and everyone safe.

Until a mysterious guy follows her into the waves at the pre-season bonfire and kisses her senseless. It’s just one mistake, and Rain is determined to put it behind her, until the dark haired, blue eyed hottie turns out to be her new co-supervisor Knight Mcallister.

Knight is hot, tatted, and carrying baggage of his own. He’s not happy about having Rain for a co-supervisor, and he’s even less happy about his attraction to her.

But between lifeguard drama, hot underwater kisses, and a growing attraction between them that can’t be stopped, Knight and Rain are being pulled deeper into their pasts, and realizing that sometimes too much broken can make a relationship impossible.

Then again sometimes it’s the broken parts of us that fit together best.
My Review:
4 STARS

Oh my, this book was intense. From the first meeting between Rain and Knight (swoon) to the very end it is all emotion. They both have a very troubled past. From the blurb, you think you know what is wrong with Rain. What happened in her past damaged her and had her making promises that no rational person could ever make, let alone keep. But that is just the tip of the iceberg. As we are treated to her past via dream/flashbacks, it is much worse. There is more to it and when we find this out, I was shocked. It is less and yet somehow more than I was expecting.

Knight is also very troubled. He has his own past issues that have shaped him into the man he is and after we find out what it is, so much makes sense. Of course I fell in love with Knight instantly, even while I wanted to smack him. More than once, I wanted to SMACK the living daylights out of him! The more you get to know him, the better you understand and then it isn’t so bad. His semi-caveman tendencies are just what I like in my heroes. There is so much to this story I was sucked in and stayed up way too late reading it. I just couldn’t put it down. Especially once things started happening and new characters were introduced.


The only thing that kept it from being 5 stars is the glaring inconsistences that should have been caught by a beta reader or editor. I debated and almost was ready to give it a 3.5 rating, but the story is just so damn good. If I had written the review immediately after putting down the book, that’s what it would have gotten. While I was reading, the inconsistences drove me nuts. So I decided to let a little time pass before I wrote the review. That was enough to wipe the annoyance from my mind, thus the 4 star rating. Just…still annoying enough that it had to be mentioned. I have learned to try and ignore the so-so editing and details that are wrong with the massive influx in indie pubbed books. There are so many fabulous stories out there if you can get past it all. This is one of them I like this book a lot and would definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment