Friday, August 30, 2013

Review: Left Drowning

What does it take to rise from life’s depths, swim against the current, and breathe?

Weighted down by the loss of her parents, Blythe McGuire struggles to keep her head above water as she trudges through her last year at Matthews College. Then a chance meeting sends Blythe crashing into something she doesn’t expect—an undeniable attraction to a dark-haired senior named Chris Shepherd, whose past may be even more complicated than her own. As their relationship deepens, Chris pulls Blythe out of the stupor she’s been in since the night a fire took half her family. She begins to heal, and even, haltingly, to love this guy who helps her find new paths to pleasure and self-discovery. But as Blythe moves into calmer waters, she realizes Chris is the one still strangled by his family’s traumatic history. As dark currents threaten to pull him under, Blythe may be the only person who can keep him from drowning.

This book is intended for mature audiences due to strong language and sexual content.

My review:
4 stars

It took me a bit to get into the book. I mean, who wants to read about a girl that does nothing but party? But quickly this book proved that it had more going for it than the typical angst. There is history here that shapes the entire book, but the author is careful not to let us in on it too soon. I had some theories as I was reading and I managed to figure most of it out before it was revealed. That's not to say that it was obvious, but I pride myself on trying to guess stuff :)

If you want to read a book about some serious drama and childhood trauma, then this is the book for you. There is plenty of both. My heart was literally hurting at times. The depths to which this book dragged me are incredible. I was absolutely sucked in and just couldn't seem to climb out of the book until I finished it. There is a lot of serious subject matter dealt with here. If you are looking for fluff and fun, do not look to this book. If you want to read a book about complex family relationships and how people survive horrible childhood tragedies and manage to come out the other side, then this is the book for you.

It's not all angst and suffering though. There are some wonderfully light and humorous moments. I really fell in love with all of the Shepard siblings, each for different reasons. The one that held a special place in my heart was Sabin. I really loved his relationship with Blythe. It was one of the bright points of this book. This book will be a high recommendation from me. I really think you all should go out and read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment