Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Review: Shooting Scars

Sometimes the right choice can be the deadliest.

When Ellie Watt made the ultimate sacrifice for Camden McQueen, she never thought it would be easy. But walking away with her ex-lover, Javier Bernal, in order to ensure Camden's safety has brought a whole new set of dangers. With Javier's plans for Ellie growing more secretive by the moment, Ellie must find a way to stay ahead of the game before her past swallows her whole.

Meanwhile, Camden's new life is short-lived. Fueled by revenge and pursued by authorities, he teams up with an unlikely partner in order to save Ellie. But as Camden toes the line between love and retribution, he realizes that in order to get back the woman he loves, he may have to lose himself in the process. He might just turn into the very man he's hunting.

Approx. 100,000 words.


My Review: 
5 STARS

OMFG. Don’t worry, this review will be spoiler free. It might not make sense in parts, but it will not tell you anything important about the story. For details you will have to read it yourself. I guarantee you will want to read it. If you haven’t already pre-ordered it, for cripes sake go buy it. NOW! Too many times I have read a book that blew my mind, then, when the long awaited sequel comes out, it just isn’t as good. I was worried. I mean, if you read my review for Sins and Needles HERE you know that book kicked my ass. So I went into this book cautiously optimistic.

Let me lay your fears to rest: Shooting Scars is just as mind blowing, gut wrenching and full of, “Oh SHIT, NO!” moments as Sins and Needles was.

Shooting Scars picks right up where Sins and Needles (S&N from here out) left off. Javier is taking Ellie away and Camden is left with Sophia.  I just knew something was up and I was proven right! Obviously psycho Javier is up to no good. That is a given. What happens on the Camden end…you’ll never fucking believe it. Or maybe you will, if like me, you had an immediate distrust of that crazy wench he was married to. Then, holy crap, the shit hits the fan. People, I got this book and I never stopped reading until it was over. Mr. Love Books had to bring me dinner in the bedroom where I was holed up. In between me shooting texts to Amy:

~ ME: 86% Hope you pre-ordered this. HOLY FUCK!
  Amy: I didn’t but now I want to know what’s happening!!!!!! Lol
  Amy: Don’t tell me!!!
  Me: Not going to but this is gonna get the elusive OMFG label on the      review
  Me: oh holy fucking god. NOOOOOO!
  Amy: aggggggggggh!!!! You’re going to kill me! I will die of suspense!
  Me: Um, just one thing…pre-order it. Like NOW! ~

I spent the entire book in a state of “what the hell! That did NOT just happen” I am torn. I know, deep down I know that Javier is a psycho. After S&N I would have said no way in hell could this ever happen…but Ms. Halle did the impossible. I am torn. I want to be team Camden, but in this book we saw a side of him that just magnifies what we saw in S&N. That scene, where he does that thing with the *shudders* thing to get the information…I was totally squicked. I think he just went to a whole new level of the badness we saw before. I am kind of on Team Javier now. But not totally. I mean, how can I be? With all the crap he pulls? And what he does to Ellie and the lies he tells her? I know it’s so wrong, but I am just going to say it. Javier is so bad boy, and I mean not in a good way, but still hot. Oh crap. I went there. Now y’all are thinking I’m crazy. You’ll have to read it to see what I mean.

OK, I know this review is going crazy long, but not done yet.  Throughout, the book once again took me, turned me upside down, shook me, flipped me in a few circles, just when I thought I would puke, put me right side up again, then kicked me in the gut for good measure. Yeah, it’s the same words from a portion of the S&N review, but oh so accurate. This time we got chapters alternating in Cam and Ellie’s POV. Each time I wasn’t ready for the switch. Didn’t want to leave Ellie then I started reading Camden and was engrossed. Then, vice versa. Head Spinning.

OK let’s wrap this up. I got some of the answers I wanted, but in the end, am left with more questions! Yeah, you guessed it! Cliffhanger city. *sobs* There is so much I am in the dark about. Does blank make it? What about when you know who found out she was you know who and then she left you know who behind? You are not gonna believe how this ends, and what’s gonna happen in the next book, Bold Tricks! (I only know what I read in the teaser chapter at the end, so put down your lynch mob torches.)


~ Ms. Halle, why do you have to be so good at ripping our guts out, making us think there is a happy ending, then leaving us hanging upside down on the roller coaster like it suddenly broke down and the maintenance men are on break? WHY!? ~


1 comment:

  1. I got my book and will be devouring soon! TEAM JAVIER:)

    ReplyDelete