Thursday, August 15, 2013

Review: Vaughn

A con man. A rancher’s daughter. A wildfire out of control.

Elizabeth Graham spends her days running the business side of the Circle Eight ranch. Her knack for numbers and organization lent themselves to her position in the family. She has just turned twenty-one and doubts she will find a man to spend her life with. Elizabeth doesn’t believe in love, after all, and when she meets a charlatan named Vaughn Montgomery, her opinion doesn’t waver. At first.

Vaughn Montgomery is down to the lint in his pocket and the handsome smile he uses as a weapon. His last con went wrong and he fled west. Now he finds himself trapped in the middle of nowhere Texas. And at the mercy of a hard-nosed woman who wears shapeless dresses and whose tongue can cut blocks of wood.

Unwilling to bend and unable to forgive, Elizabeth and Vaughn get caught up in a web of lies that stretches from Houston to the heart of Texas. She finds herself falling for the man who can’t seem to tell the truth and he can’t get enough of a woman who can only speak truths. Surrounded by danger, they embark on the ultimate con to save the Circle Eight and their lives.
~~~~~ 
My Review:
4 STARS

Where do I begin with the yummy deliciousness that is Vaughn? This is the fourth book in the Circle Eight series (see my review for Caleb )  and it just keeps getting better. Each book jumps ahead a year or couple so we get to see the family growing up and growing in size. This installment took me on an emotional ride though. I started to see where it was going at 20% and was crying by 32%. After that I was ready to shut the Kindle and throw it against the wall. No way! How could Emma Lang do this to us!? After everything we have gone through with this family, to have this happen!?

And yet, being the master of writing that she is, I still ended up feeling for the “villains” in this story. I was sure after the “event” that there was no way I could ever sympathize with them. I cheered when Elizabeth considered killing. Then screamed in frustration when she didn’t. Once again my Kindle almost became intimately acquainted with the wall. Then, Ms. Lang did what I didn’t think was possible. Slowly I was swayed to the bad guys side.

Now Vaughn on the other hand, he frustrated me to no end and at one point I probably wouldn’t have cared if he’d died. He grated on my nerves when he kind of had a little “woe is me, look what life has forced me to do” moment. I thought to myself, man the fuck up, take responsibility for your actions and do what you need to do without making lame ass excuses. But he’s had a troubled life and I got it, so I got over it.


Over all, a wonderful addition to the series! We got to meet a lot of new characters who I hope will be making some appearances in future books. I am really kind of hoping that Nicholas gets his book next as I think we are introduced to his future heroine in this installment. Also, without giving anything away, I really hope we get to see more of the “villains” in the future. I really would love to see what happens with them. So go pick up the latest by Ms. Emma Lang. I promise you won’t be disappointed with your trip to the Circle Eight.

P.S. I don't know where she finds them for every single book, but "hello cover hottie!?"
~~~~~
Beth Williamson, who also writes as Emma Lang, is an award-winning, bestselling author of both historical and contemporary romances. Her books range from sensual to scorching hot. She is a Career Achievement Award Nominee in Erotic Romance by Romantic Times Magazine, in both 2009 and 2010.

Beth has always been a dreamer, never able to escape her imagination. It led her to the craft of writing romance novels. She’s passionate about purple, books, and her family. She has a weakness for shoes and purses, as well as bookstores. Her path in life has taken several right turns, but she’s been with the man of her dreams for more than 20 years.

Beth works full-time and writes romance novels evening, weekends, early mornings and whenever there is a break in the madness. She is compassionate, funny, a bit reserved at times, tenacious and a little quirky. Her cowboys and western romances speak of a bygone era, bringing her readers to an age where men were honest, hard and packing heat. For a change of pace, she also dives into some smokin’ hot contemporaries, bringing you heat, romance and snappy dialogue.

Life might be chaotic, as life usually is, but Beth always keeps a smile on her face, a song in her heart, and a cowboy on her mind. ;)
BETH’S WEBSITE: http://www.bethwilliamson.com/

BETH’S EMAIL:

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I love this series so am always eager to read it. So far, Caleb is still my fav but that could change with Nicholas (if and when he gets a book *g*)
      If you have had the chance to read this,what did you think of the "villains" (I keep using that term so as not to give spoilers, but I think you know who I am talking about)

      Delete