Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Review: Follow Me #1 Deadly Game

The first episode in Cara Lockwood’s sexy, suspenseful, and fast-paced e-serial Follow Me.
Overnight, Calypso "Cal" Morgan's sensual Greek summer abroad turns into a thrilling, high-stakes race to prove to the world (and herself) that her brand-new and very sexy boyfriend Daniel is not a murderer.  On the run together, Cal and Daniel must outwit handsome Greek detective Nico Theseus and face their attraction to each other - amid the stress and growing suspicions unearthed by the investigation.

Beautiful college student Calypso “Cal” Morgan’s semester abroad had quickly become a steamy summer romance on the gorgeous Greek Isle of Naxos until the morning she wakes, after a night of hard partying, to find her new boyfriend, Daniel, in bed with her wild roommate Gia. But far worse than that, he’s completely covered in her blood. Unable to remember what happened and unwilling to leave each other, Cal and Daniel flee with the handsome police detective Nico Theseus close on their heels. Doomed as they seem to be, it seems that Daniel isn’t the only suspect worth hunting down in the first episode in Cara Lockwood’s sexy, suspenseful, and fast-paced e-serial Follow Me.

Don't miss ON THE RUN, the second sexy and heart-pounding story in FOLLOW ME.

My Review:
4 STARS
Holy Crap! This book is one ginormous mind game! When I read the description, I paused. I try to avoid the serial books because I hate being left hanging. At the same time, they remind me of the good old fashioned soap operas that left you hanging every week. I am all about gratification. I want to be satisfied at the end of the book. Despite all that I made the conscious decision to get this book from NetGalley anyway. It just sounded so interesting. Boy am I glad I did. I was riveted.

This book is so twisted and convoluted, by the time I finished it, I had way more questions and theories than answers. No answers! NADA! Only question after question. He did what!?  Holy crap, they are…? And, she knew him? I knew it! Yeah none of that makes sense. Here’s some of my take on the book, at the risk of being spoilerish. (To try to keep the mystery, I am not naming names so this could get even more confusing.) I think she is…well, I can’t decide if she’s just stupid or a genius. I am leaning toward genius of the evil sort. He is probably a full on sociopath, but them together…just not right. There is a character that I think is a bit of a red herring. Sure, what we learn of him seems creepy but, I think we are meant to think that. As for the two Blanks…I reserve judgment. For sure the He Blank has some serious secrets, both from the She Blank and from someone else I am thinking. Something is smelling super fishy to me and it isn’t just because the town is surrounded by ocean *G*

Here’s what made it only 4 stars for me: I didn’t connect with any of the characters. I am invested in finding out what happens obviously. But the blurb tells you this couple is on the run, etc. I didn’t really like Cal, nor did I like Daniel. If I could have connected with at least one of the characters, been invested in them, that would have made the story so much richer. Even if I was invested and they turned out to be the psycho, that would have been ok because I would have liked at least one of them. I am hoping in the future installments I will be able to connect with one of them, or I might get bored. It’s no fun reading all this drama and intrigue if you aren’t rooting for someone. For now I think they are all bad/evil in some way. Lying, running, being psycho during sex…they all have something to hide. But someone has to be the “good guy” or girl however it works out. So far I am not getting that sense.  
All in all, this story was awesome. It kept my interest and before I knew it I was at the dreaded “The End” I prepared myself. I knew it was coming. But I forgot to pay attention to that little % in the bottom corner of my Kindle so when I got there I was like: Are you kidding me!? WTF!? Now I am on pins and needles to find out what happens next. Did I mention this first installment doesn’t release until October!?


No comments:

Post a Comment